- PlaneTree Cancer Directory New!
- An easy-to-search guide to authoritative cancer websites.
- MedlinePlus Cancer
- Comprehensive information from an authoritative source: the National Institutes of Health and the National Library of Medicine. Includes links
to latest news and general overviews of cancer research, prevention and screening, organizations, statistics and more.
American Cancer Society Man to Man
- Prostate cancer education and support.
- The U.S. National Cancer Institute's web site. You'll find a wide range of accurate, credible cancer information here, including peer-reviewed statements on many different types of cancers for patients
and detailed treatment statements for health care professionals, covering state-of-the-art care. You'll also find
cancer fact sheets and other publications. All information is updated regularly, has been reviewed by oncology experts and is based on the
results of current research.
Is a fee-based service that provides
extensive, current, individualized information packets to cancer patients. The service includes interpretations and opinions from a board of medical consultants. Be sure to look at the Cancer Patient's Bill of Rights authored by the director of CANHELP, medical writer
and journalist Patrick M. McGrady, Jr.
- Childhood Cancers at NCI
Helping kids with cancer or other life-threatening illnesses with information written for and by them. This site sponsored
by the National Cancer Institute offers personal stories, poetry and information covering cancer treatments, managing eating problems during
cancer treatment, and coping for the family.
Includes information about the location of clinical
trials, what they are trying to do, where they are located and how any member of the public can volunteer to participate. Not only is it written
in a manner that patients can understand, but it links to additional information about diseases and disorders. Clinicaltrials.gov includes
both federally and privately funded trials. The website is completely confidential requiring no registration or personal identification of any
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center: Prostate Cancer
- Overview of prostate cancer, answers to common questions, diagnosis and treatment information.
NCCS Resource Guide
From the National Coalition for Cancer
Survivorship; a guided tour designed to assist those not experienced in finding sources on the Net to get to cancer resources quickly so they
can find answers to their questions and become more informed patients and caretakers.
- The University of Pennsylvania's Cancer Resource page. It contains an excellent collection of pages including information on specific types
of cancers, cancer treatments, social and psychological support and coping suggestions, and recent research advances. It is updated every
day and contains information at many levels from basic to in-depth.
- Can provide you with a wealth of cancer information through an easy-to-use
menu-driven system -- from basic lay level explanations on diagnoses and
treatments to state-of-the-art therapeutic approaches to a registry of
clinical trials (usually treatment studies) for specific diagnoses.
Information is offered in language written specifically for patients, or,
for health professionals (providing greater detail on a subject). You can
contact your regional cancer center to have PDQ print-outs mailed or faxed
to you at no charge (you will often just get the Information for Patients
print-out unless you specifically request the print-outs for health
professionals). However, through their web site, you can immediately
access all of this frequently updated information yourself.
PlaneTree Health Library ·
15891 Los Gatos-Almaden Rd. ·
Los Gatos, CA 95032
(408) 358 - 5667
Please note our disclaimer: materials at PlaneTree Health Library are not intended to replace advice or instruction of a healthcare professional. Also, the links found on this web site do not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Planetree organization, its affiliates, or individuals. We are not responsible for the content of web sites referenced from this site.