Support Groups, Lectures, and Other Community Events
We are developing this section to be eventually a one-stop place to check for health lectures / workshops and support groups.
The criteria for the health lectures are free or low cost / sliding scale, open to the public, and occurring in Santa Clara County. Any health-related support group is also welcome to post their information. Please contact us with details.
Following are web sites with information about general and local support groups:
Back to Top
- NLM/Directory Of Health Organizations-Specialized Information Services
- The National Library of Medicine maintains this database of organizations, many of which have local affiliates with support groups.
- American Self-Help Group Clearing House
- This American Self-Help Clearinghouse site includes organizations focused on both physical and mental health.
Eating Disorders Resource Center (EDRC)
- EDRC's mission "is to increase awareness and understanding of eating disorders for the general public and for health professionals and to promote early diagnosis, effective treatment, and recovery." EDRC sponsors two types of Support groups. One centers on the individual who is dealing with his or her own eating disorders and meets regularly at PlaneTree Health Library. A new support group can help family members or friends and meets at El Camino Hospital.
- NAMI Santa Clara County
- is an affiliate of the NAMI California and the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). NAMI's mission is to erradicate mental illnesses and to improve of "the quality of life of all whose lives are affected by these diseases."
- Silicon Valley Ostomy Support Group
- The group is an affiliate of the United Ostomy Associations of America (UOAA), with the mission to improve "the quality of life for individuals with ostomy or continent diversion who live in the San Jose metropolitan area."
- United Way Silicon Valley - Santa Clara County 211
- Launched in 2007, is a 7
days a week 24 hour "free, non-emergency, confidential service that provides
streamlined access to critical health and humans services". The website gives
access to a database of Santa Clara County resources. The service is available
in “English, Spanish, Vietnamese and 140 other languages".
PlaneTree Health Library ·
15891 Los Gatos-Almaden Rd. ·
Los Gatos, CA 95032
(408) 358 - 5667
Please note our disclaimer: materials at PlaneTree Health Library are not intended to replace advice or instruction of a healthcare professional. Also, the links found on this web site do not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Planetree organization, its affiliates, or individuals. We are not responsible for the content of web sites referenced from this site.